Thursday, May 21, 2015

Omoide Yokocho: A Walk Down Memory Lane



My second black and white post (excluding the first picture-- sorry!) ^^. Omoide Yokocho, meaning "memory lane", can be found on the western side of Shinjuku Station and I stumbled across this place by pure accident. After getting lost inside the station (it's huge with too many exits for me to count) for a good half hour or so, I eventually made my way out of a random exit which just so happened to lead to this place! Omoide Yokocho is actually made up of four lanes that intersect one another and is also called gokiburi yokocho (cockroach alley) or shomben yokocho (piss alley). I think the first (memory lane) sounds a lot better :) 

This area has been around since the 1940s, but was destroyed by a large fire in the late 1990s before being rebuilt. A majority of the eateries are small and don't fit more than ten people and aren't the epitome of elegance, but people will tell you it's all part of the experience. It's highly recommended to come at night when the signs are lit and salarymen go out and grab a bite to eat. When I came across the popular alleys, it was before lunchtime and nearly all of the shops and establishments weren't open, but it was still worth walking through. An owner of one of the few open shops was more than glad to let me take photos of his place! :)






A glimpse of one of the eating establishments. Small and narrow with just enough room to walk behind other diners :)

Old-school menu :)

Thank you so much for reading and I hope you all have a wonderful week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment