Sunday, November 30, 2014

Garden View Lunch: Kassui-Ken in Himeji Kokoen

Happy Cyber Monday everyone! :) 

Anyone buying gifts today? Unfortunately, I won't because that would only mean that I would have to somehow bring it back home >.< Good luck to those of you who are finding those super sales and deals though! :) 

Today's post will be from my day trip to Himeji. In the past, I prioritized taking pictures and getting to my destination over eating and would usually pick up a small snack from the conbini to hold me over. This year, I've been trying to sit down and enjoy a meal after arriving at my destination :) Inside Himeji Kokoen is a restaurant called Kassui-Ken (they open around 11:00) that offers unobstructed views of the garden so that you can enjoy the outside scenery while sitting down to some yummy food. And you can be sure that I was the first person to go inside once they opened! I prefer to grab either an early or late lunch to avoid the crowds. 

Because soba and anago (a type of eel that tastes similar to unagi, but isn't as expensive) is a specialty of Himeji, I ordered the anago-don and soba lunch set. It was a very reasonable 1,350 yen and although they have several special lunches, they only make a certain number of those a day so reservations are required. I definitely recommend this place if you're strolling through the gardens and are looking for a nice place to sit down and eat some delicious food ^^ You can find the restaurant site here


Because you need one of these shots before eating your food :)


All of that anago goodness resting on a bed of rice and finely chopped egg ^^

I could definitely taste the difference in the soba. It was a little firmer and had a very fresh and light taste to it. 

Chilled lychee. Not the easiest to eat, but still delicious.

More shots...I wonder if the people sitting at the opposite end of the room got tired of me taking pictures..


First bite! ^^

Window seats are the best :)


Thank you so much for reading and I hope you all have a wonderful week!


No comments:

Post a Comment