Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Himeji Castle: The White Heron




A couple of weekends ago, I finally made it back to Himeji Castle!! The first time I went to Himeji, the castle was still being renovated, so I opted to go to the garden which is located right next to the castle. The renovation had been an ongoing project for quite a few years until March 2015 when the castle was re-opened to the public. I avoided going there for the first two months like the plague because of the hordes and seas of people that would undoubtedly be visiting. I haven't been to many Japanese castles, but Himeji definitely stands out as the top :) It comprises of eighty-three buildings and is also known as the Shirasaji-jo, or "White Heron Castle" because its white exterior and buildings resemble a heron taking flight. Unlike other castles, it has never been destroyed from wars, earthquakes or fires and thus still stands in its original form! 

The castle opens at 9:00, so I got there around 8:20 only to find myself standing in an already growing line! I was lucky enough to be part of the first group that was let in. They had to regulate the number of visitors allowed to enter because so many people were lining up. It was a rather hot day as well and I can't imagine how miserable it must have been to be standing in line during the afternoon! The fee to enter is 1,000 yen and with hundreds and hundreds of people and tour groups waiting patiently to enter, I think the castle made quite a bit of money to help cover the extensive renovation. I hope you all enjoy the pictures!

Just before 9:00 and the line had gone past the park area..









View from the second floor :)





The stairs were actually really steep so if you have bad knees, definitely take it slow. And don't wear a short skirt unless you don't mind everyone behind you getting a peek. Shorts or pants all the way! :)






The line of people who got past the ticket gate and were waiting to get INTO the castle!

And the line to buy tickets...





Thank you so much for reading and I hope you all have a wonderful week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment