Thursday, May 14, 2015

Golden Water: Arima Onsen


After our lunch at Granite Cafe, my friend and I rode the Rokko Arima Ropeway from Mt. Rokko to Arima Onsen, a rather famous and popular hot spring town located in the mountains. It is over a thousand years old, making the town one of the oldest hot spring resorts. Because of its relatively compact and small size, my friend and I were able to explore most of the town on foot although we didn't stay long. Our main goal was to relax in one of the onsen :) 

We ended up going to Kin no Yu, one of the public onsen, which is known for its golden-colored water and said to be good for muscle ailments. This was my first onsen experience and while I knew the gist of what happens, I was still a little surprised to see how the women and girls had absolutely no hesitation in baring it all before showering and entering the onsen. After a couple of minutes of shyness, I just didn't care and enjoyed myself :) The water was HOT, but felt extremely soothing. The only downside was that my friend and I ended up having to get out after ten minutes because it was a little too hot for us and we retreated to a smaller pool that wasn't as hot. However, once we dried ourselves off and exited the bath house, we felt incredibly relaxed--as if we had just done a session of yoga! 


The ride from the top of the mountain to Arima was about ten minutes long and the view was...STUNNING. Tall, green trees on the mountains with views of the city peeking out as we continued to go lower and lower. 




Entrance to Kin no Yu 





Wisteria?! :)



Thank you so much for reading and I hope you all have a wonderful week!

No comments:

Post a Comment