Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Quiet and Empty Higashiyama




One of my favorite areas to visit in Kyoto is the Higashiyama area because of the various machiya, old buildings and unique shops. Although it can get quite busy and crowded around 10a.m., it remains relatively empty up until then, which is when I usually go :) The roads and sidewalks are empty except for a few other people and I relish the peaceful and quiet walk through small side streets and up the main ones such as Nene-no-michi, Ninen-zaka and Sannen-zaka. Despite the cloudy weather, I still enjoyed exploring streets that I've never walked down before and also visiting shops that I can never turn away from. 



Come around 8:00 and you'll have the entire street to yourself.

What I would give to be able to run through Higashiyama in the morning! 




I can never resist going into this chirimen shop because of the vast amount of items that they sell. If you want omiyage to bring back for friends and family, this is a good place to start :)


School trips mean rivers of middle school and high school students.

If you have time, Kodaiji Rakusho is a good place to stop by and enjoy some sweets and tea. I opted for their warabi mochi and although it was a tad bit expensive for me, it was one of the best ones I've ever had, and the koi pond and small garden outside was a bonus as well. 




Just look for this shop as you walk from Yasaka Jinja to Nene-no-michi and you'll find it :)




Thank you so much for reading and I hope you all have a wonderful week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment