Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Precious Moments: Reflecting on 2014



As 2014 draws to an ending, I thought I would take time to reflect on this amazing year. Not many people have the opportunity to have a steady job while living in Japan, giving them a variety of opportunities to travel and learn more about the culture. I've had moments where I was homesick or stressed out, but I'm grateful for being able to teach at the schools that I'm at and to have such amazing friends and family who always support me. Here are some of my most memorable moments from 2014 :)

1. Experiencing my first New Years in Japan.

2. Cooking my own osechi ryori for the first time.

3. Wandering around handicraft and flea markets in Kyoto.

4. Watching my 3nensei students graduate from JHS.

5. Experiencing my first stay at a ryokan, and eating kaiseki ryori and Kyoto yuba tofu while in Kyoto with my 3nensei teachers.

6. Traveling to Miyajima Island while in Hiroshima.

7. Witnessing the beautiful sakura season in Arashiyama and Osaka

8. Growing closer with my elementary and junior high school students and teachers :)

9. Battling the summer heat with an abundance of kakigori

10. Visiting home for three weeks and spending quality time with my family.

11. Nonstop festivities at a local bon odori

12. Finally traveling to Korea with some friends and going to HongdaeGyeongbokkung PalaceBukchon Hanok VillageHyewa Mural Villlage, and eating so many different yummy foods.

13. Traveling more independently.

14. Sports day at my elementary and junior high school.

15. Going to one of the main matsuris in Kyoto: the Jidai Matsuri.

16. Having the opportunity to travel as much as I do.

17. Spending a good half of my day at the garden in Himeji.

18. Keeping in touch with family and friends via skype, email and hand-written letters :)

19. Being able to carry on a simple conversation with Japanese people while traveling.

20. Solo day trips to Kyoto for the autumn foliage at NanzenjiEikandoTetsugaku no MichiKinkakujiRyoanjiand Arashiyama.

21. Hanging out with friends more.

22. Being able to skype with my family on Christmas Day.

23. Visiting my aunty in Kanagawa and exploring Tokyo and Yokohama with her.

24. Enjoying the simple things.


Thank you so much for reading and I hope you all have a wonderful and prosperous new year!!! Tomorrow will be a new chapter in your lives--write a memorable one! :)







No comments:

Post a Comment