Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Canal Views at Kusukawa



Yanagawa is quite famous for their unagi seiro-mushi (eel steamed in a basket) and consequently, many restaurants specializing in this dish can be found around the canals. I wasn't sure which one to go to since all of them had good reviews and were recommended by various sites. This particular sight listed quite a few that also include set meals to go with ticket packs. After walking around for awhile, I stopped in front of a restaurant called Kusukawa and went inside. It was a good size-- not too big or too small and took a window seat to see the many canal tour boats pass by. I placed my order and then enjoyed the view while I waited and waved to the boats that passed by.  The number of pieces of unagi changes the price and my lunch with four pieces was 2,300 yen. 

I've been lucky enough to try unagi from a variety of places in Japan (particularly in Tokyo since my aunty and her good friends enjoy it as much as I do!), so my expectations may have been a bit high. No disappointment at all :) The unagi came in a beautiful red wooden box that instantly made me think of the red torii that can be found at shrines. It was smothered in the signature sweet and thick sauce with kinshi tamago (finely chopped omelet) sprinkled on top and a generous portion of rice on the bottom. Needless to say, I finished the entire meal :)


Some tours offer meals for people to cook and eat as they relax and enjoy the views :) 





Quite a friendly boat where they weren't shy to smile and pose for a picture from my window seat! ^^


Thank you so much for reading and I hope you all have a wonderful week! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment