Monday, July 13, 2015

Miyajidake Shrine: The Three Number Ones



My flight from Fukuoka to Kansai was mid morning, which gave me enough time to make a quick trip out to Miyajidake Shrine. The three gods of Empress Jingu, Katsumura Okami and Katsuyori Okami are enshrined here and many people come to pay their respects and to pray for business success and for their family's safety. My interest in coming was to see the oshimenawa, or giant straw rope, that decorates the main building. This is the largest rope in Japan, weighing in at five tons. Yep, a massive five TONS. It was gigantic and impressive. There is also a giant drum and bell which are the largest in Japan, giving them the title of "The Three Number Ones". Unfortunately, I was unable to get photos of the last two because of time constraints (missing my flight wouldn't have been very good...), but I was still grateful to be able to finally see the giant straw rope up close! Can you imagine how the shrine manages to hold up all that weight for years and years? O.o I just can't fathom it! Japan's shrines and temples never cease to constantly amaze me :)



Amazing view of the city from the top of the stairs.













Thank you so much for reading and I hope you all have a wonderful week! 


No comments:

Post a Comment