Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Arashiyama: Off the Beaten Path



Back again with another Arashiyama post! However, this one is a bit different as I wanted to stay away from the major tourist spots (the bamboo grove, the main street, Tenryuji and Togetsukyo Bridge). That being said, I couldn't resist walking through the bamboo grove before anyone else was there and not include a picture of it! As I exited the grove, I made my way through the side roads with the help from an elderly man who told me he came from Nara and was one his way to Ginkakuji after he was done at Arashiyama! We walked past Jojakkoji Temple, Nison-in Temple and Gioji Temple before arriving at the Saga Toriimoto preserved street. It's a bit of a walk from the main area so it was fairly empty. The street has been preserved to fit the style of the Meiji period and many of its buildings are traditional machiya that have been converted into various restaurants and shops. I was also lucky enough to see a matsuri pass through the street!! Not sure what it was for, but I was glad to have seen it nonetheless :). 







I don't think there are enough signs here.

Arriving at the Saga Toriimoto preserved street.




This little shop was one of my highlights actually! The two ladies working inside were incredibly kind and chatted with me after giving me a cup of tea and a sweet :) 

The shop specializes in cocoon-shaped figurines made with the same material that is used for kimono and other clothing. 

One of the many impressive figures that I saw in the shop.


Many locals in the neighborhood gathered out in the streets to wait for the matsuri procession :)









Thank you so much for reading and I hope you have a wonderful day! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment