Thursday, June 4, 2015

Simple and Delicious



The weather had gotten considerably hotter while I watched the local neighborhood matsuri walk through the street, so I ducked into a quaint little restaurant right outside of Gioji Temple. It's run by an elderly man and his wife and they were adorable! I was the only customer there since I had gone in right when they opened and they chatted with me while I ate :) The first question I usually get by Japanese people is where I'm from and I can't remember a single time when they haven't been stunned by my answer (Hawaii). I've always thought of Hawaii simply as my home, but after hearing so many comments about how they want to go or that they've never been there before, it made me really appreciate those tiny little islands :) 

Going back to the post, this restaurant also offers some western dishes such as spaghetti and hamburgers (not the bun, just the hamburger in a yummy sauce with other sides), but I had my eyes on the soba and tempura set for around 1,300 yen. The photo didn't do the dish justice because the tempura was quite good and I was surprised by the amount that was given to me. The soba seemed to be your average soba, but dipped into the sauce with the wasabi and green onion gave it so much flavor. If you're in Arashiyama and want to get away from the crowded main streets, I really recommend this place ^^ 

Self-serve water at this restaurant which is a must since it seems that the couple are the only ones who cook for the entire place.

The amount of soba was a lot as well! But not too heavy or anything.


I ended up getting nasu (eggplant), shrimp, a rather large green bean, sweet potato and a huge hasu (lotus root). Two thumbs up! :)



Thank you so much for reading and I hope you all have a wonderful week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment