Saturday, April 25, 2015

Mt. Yoshino: Low Clouds



My last sakura post! I don't know when I'll be able to visit Japan (especially during spring!) again after I finish my time on the JET Program, so I went to as many places as I could this year for the sakura. Mt. Yoshino is Japan's most famous sakura area with thousands of the trees planted along the mountainside as well as lining the roads leading up to the top. The mountain is split into four sections: Shimo Senbon; located at the base of the mountain, Naka Senbon; the middle area, Kami Senbon; towards the upper part of the mountain, and Oku Senbon; the inner area. 

Because of the variety of elevation, peak blooming season differs among the bottom, middle, upper and inner areas, making Mt. Yoshino an excellent place to visit. While I was keeping my fingers crossed for a nice day, the clouds thought otherwise and rolled in, covering parts of the mountain in fog and clouds. Not the best way to view the sakura which had also suffered from the recent rain and wind, but it was still very much worth the trip :) 

There is a ropeway for people to take up to the entrance of the town, but it's better to just walk the extra ten minutes uphill. The views are gorgeous and why bother waiting in line for half an hour?


The entrance of the town that leads to Naka Senbon. You can find most of the restaurants, accommodations, shops and temples/shrines along this area.


Kinpusenji Temple


Three-story pagoda 



View from Yoshimizu shrine, a particularly popular and famous area to get a picture of the mountainside. 




Crowds pouring in from the trains and tour buses.



Gradually walked up the winding road towards the Kami Senbon.

Waiting patiently for the clouds to part




Finally made it to Hanayagura Viewpoint!

Long walk back down to the Shimo Senbon











And only ten minutes away from the train station!!


Thank you so much for reading and I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment