Saturday, April 11, 2015

Koraku-en: One of the Three Great Gardens of Japan



Riding the shinkansen has been on my Japan bucketlist and going to Okayama was the perfect place. Its not too far to cost me an arm and a leg, but it isn't too close to Kobe either. I ended up going to Okayama to visit Koraku-en and Handayama Botanical Garden for the sakura. However, today's post will be on Koraku-en, known to be one of the top three gardens in Japan (along with Kenroku-en and Kairaku-en) for its landscaping and it certainly didn't fail. With an area of about 133,000 meters, the garden is incredibly spacious with a wide variety of trees, flowers and plants. My only disappointment was that it was too early for all of the flowers to be in bloom and parts of the area were still brown. Nonetheless, I was thoroughly impressed and have already started planning a second trip to see the garden during the summer. 





















The famous kibidango, known as the snack that was eaten by Momotaro and his friends.

Beautiful view of Okayama Castle from the gardens :)









Thank you so much for reading and I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment