Monday, February 9, 2015

Susukino: Ice Sculpture Masterpieces



Hokkaido came under my radar during high school when my Japanese teacher had my classmates and me research the four main islands of Japan and I was assigned to Hokkaido. While gathering information, I read about the yuki matsuri, or snow festival, that is held every February in Sapporo and was blown away by the ice and snow sculptures that were created. I was determined to go someday and booked my tickets to Hokkaido in August to ensure that I would be able to go :] I went with two of my friends from Thursday until Sunday and although we checked-in to our hostel in the late afternoon, we decided to head back out to Susukino where the ice sculptures were. The main road was blocked off so that people could walk down and enjoy the intricately carved designs. The sculptures had signs explaining what they were to help visitors. It was amazing to see how people are able to create such masterpieces from a block of ice!! 


They had fish and crabs in the ice!! Something I think my uncles would love to see (they're big on fishing ^^)







And yes, they even had a designated smoking area made of ice...

Some were still making their pieces so I was glad to have been able to catch them in action :)

A small tunnel illumination!! While it wasn't as large as the tunnel in Mie, the colorful lights more than made up for it. And the fact that part of it was made from ice :)














Thank you so much for reading and I hope you all have a wonderful week! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment