Thursday, February 26, 2015

Snow Sculptures: Hokkaido





Sorry for a delay in posts, everyone. My parents and older brother came to visit me in Japan for awhile so I've been spending lots and lots of time with them. Their flight back to Hawaii leaves tonight and while I was sad to see them go, I was immensely glad that they had a chance to come to Japan :) Today's post will feature the many snow sculptures at Odori Park for the yuki matsuri in Hokkaido that took place earlier this year.  The festival has become very popular and attracts many foreign visitors who, like me, have a strong desire to see the masterpieces made entirely from snow. I was in awe of the sculptures that lined the park-- I can barely make a snowman! Smaller ones were further towards the middle and end of the park and while they may not have been as large, they were still very impressive to look at. An amateur contest was located at the end of the park, but I would hardly call them that! 


This Star Wars themed one built by the Special Defense Forces was the star of the festival :) 


Do you wanna build a snowman~? :)


Free sand to sprinkle in front of you to prevent you from slipping.





Always interesting to see people building their sculptures. There was an area where international teams came to build their sculptures. 





A Japanese family sitting around a kotatsu and sharing a few good laughs :] 

Children sliding down ice slides--they really seemed to be having fun ^^



Thank you so much for reading and I hope you all have a wonderful week :)


No comments:

Post a Comment