Sunday, February 8, 2015

Honke Owariya: Serving Soba for 550 Years



Sorry for the lack of posts! I just got back from Hokkaido today and was there from Thursday for the yuki matsuri, or snow festival. Lots of posts this upcoming week!! :)

I've been reading raving reviews about Honke Owariya, a soba restaurant that has been serving the people of Kyoto for more than 550 years. It started out as a confectionery shop in 1465 before gradually shifting over to supplying soba due to a high demand. Because of this, the shop is also known for its soba rice cakes, soba-ita and soba-boru. The ingredients for their soba and sweets come from Hokkaido and no artificial additives are used in their food. Owariya is quite possibly the oldest soba shop in Kyoto and is currently under the 16th generation owner, Ariko Inaoka, who is also a photographer. 

Owariya has four shops: the original, which is located near the Old Imperial Palace, their Shijo branch, Takashimaya branch and Nishiki-Tominokoji branch. I was wandering through Nishiki Market and happened to stumble upon one of their shops! It was a little before noon so hardly anyone was in there. Their Nishiki-Tominokoji branch is the only one that serves handmade soba so I was extremely excited to try their food. 





I ordered the Tempura Soba Teishoku and it came with kakeya rice and tsukemono.

The tempura was good, but a little soggy because I was too busy taking pictures before I ate it..The noodles were superb.  I'm no soba expert, but you could immediately tell that it was handmade. Their dashi was light, yet savory and didn't take away from the soba.

The rice was cooked in a broth (I think it was their original soup broth?) and had small pieces of carrot, mushroom and egg. 



Thank you so much for reading and I hope you all have a wonderful week!



No comments:

Post a Comment