Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Afternoon Tea: Baumkuchen Cake and Hokkaido Ice Cream



After checking into our hostel, my friend and I wandered around the area to get acquainted with it, and to find something to eat because we were hungry. However, we arrived at the odd time where it was too late for lunch, but too early for dinner so many restaurants were closed. My friend went to a conbini to grab some snacks while I stayed out to explore a bit until I walked by Kitsutoya. It had a bakery on the right where they sold fancy sweets and a cafe on the left where you could sit down and enjoy some of their desserts. I definitely wasn't expecting my first food in Hokkaido to be sweets, but I can never refuse them :) I ended up ordering the baumkuchen set that came with two different cakes, Hokkaido ice cream and some hot tea. Baumkuchen cake is a popular dessert in Japan despite originating from Europe and each region has their specialties. I've usually only tried baumkuchen cake from grocery stores so it was a treat to try one from this place :). 




Hokkaido is known for their dairy products (among many other food and produce) and their ice cream has to be one of the best I've ever had. You can taste the small icicles in most ice cream, but Hokkaido ice cream is extremely smooth and creamy without being too rich. This wouldn't be the last time that I ate it ^^.



Thank you so much for reading and I hope you all have a wonderful week :) My parents and older brother are coming to visit for almost two weeks so I'll have lots of posts for you guys on where we go!! :D



No comments:

Post a Comment