Wednesday, November 26, 2014

High City Views: Nanzenji

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!

There are so many things that I'm thankful for and this year, one of them is being able to travel by myself a lot more. I've been making day trips to Kyoto almost every weekend for the fall leaves, so today's post will be from Nanzenji :) It's about a ten minute walk from Keage Station (they have signs that point you in the direction so if I could find it, you definitely can ^^) and the grounds don't have an entrance fee. However, if you want to go into separate temples and up the Sanmon Gate, you will have to pay a small fee. I paid 300 yen to walk up the stairs of the Sanmon Gate, but didn't go into any other temples because Nanzenji wasn't the only temple that I wanted to visit that day.

I arrived around 7:40 and thought that was pretty early, but there were already some crowds walking around. Despite this, the atmosphere was still calm and peaceful-- I guess everyone else wanted to enjoy the foliage as well ^^


Walking towards the Sanmon Gate. It was built by the Tokugawa clan and if you go upstairs, the view is absolutely breathtaking :) 













Seeing an aqueduct in the middle of the temple grounds in Kyoto really threw me off. Turns out that this was built and used during the Meiji Era to transport goods and water between Lake Biwa and Kyoto. 




View from the Sanmon Gate








Thank you so much for reading and I hope you have a wonderful week! For those of you going shopping on Black Friday, stay warm and safe! :) I sort of miss the excitement, but then think of the horrendous lines and realize how much I love Cyber Monday :D

No comments:

Post a Comment