Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Giant Torii: Heian Jingu



Sorry I didn't post as usual yesterday! I'll have another post as usual tomorrow though :)

The bright, orange painted torii never cease to impress me, but I was thoroughly impressed when my family and I went to Heian Jingu during our stay in Kyoto. The giant torii gate in front of the shrine was ENORMOUS. It's so large and tall that you can see it from Nanzenji (just pay the 400 yen fee to go up the Sanmon Gate and you'll see the top of the torii gate!). This shrine was built relatively recently (1895) and is dedicated to the first and last emperors who reigned the city. While Edo was the former name of Tokyo, Heian was the former name of Kyoto. The grounds are rather spacious and are used for special events such as the Jidai Matsuri which starts at the Imperial Palace and ends at the shrine. 





One of the many trees covered with omikuji, or fortune-telling paper strips. If the paper reads that you won't have a good fortune, it's custom to tie it on a branch to essentially leave your bad luck behind instead of taking it with you. 




Thank you so much for reading and I hope you all have a wonderful week!

No comments:

Post a Comment