Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Japanese Elementary Kyushoku

Happy Wednesday everyone!

Sorry for a lack of posts...it's been quite slow lately. Although summer is here, it also means that Japan has become one huge sauna with the humidity levels in Kobe reaching in the high 90s. I will never complain about humidity when I go back to Hawaii for a long break -____-;. It feels as if I'm drinking water simply by stepping outside and breathing.

But back to today's post! I have two elementary schools that I visit once a week on Mondays and Thursdays. Before coming to Japan, I heard some scary stories about the food that was served during kyushoku, or lunchtime, and was a little nervous to see what my schools would serve. I'm all for trying new things, but you just never know sometimes. My schools alternate between serving rice and bread (MWF is rice and TTH is bread) and I'm usually able to snap a picture of my kyushoku on Thursdays before my kiddies take me to one of their classes to eat with them. Bread/rice and milk are the main components for kyushoku and is usually accompanied by two side dishes.

There are no cafeterias in Japanese schools and the students bring the food up to their rooms in trays where about ten of them distribute the food and serve it to their classmates. Of course, this is done with their mint green aprons, caps and masks. No one eats until the last person is given his/her food and it is only after they say "itadakimasu!" that they are allowed to eat. If a student doesn't like a food that is served, they will still eat it all instead of throwing it away. So far, I have yet to be given food that I don't like :)



I was hooked onto hijiki (the black seaweed) after eating it during one of my kyushokus. It's been part of my daily lunch since then :)

This bread is slit so that you can put the veggies and wieners inside 


Thank you so much for reading! For all of my Japan readers, please be careful and stay safe from the typhoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment