Monday, July 21, 2014

Gion Matsuri Hoko Float Construction

Happy Sunday everyone!

Just wanted to share some photos that I took of the float constructions when I went to Kyoto last week :) The Gion Matsuri is one of the most famous festivals in Japan and takes place over the entire month of July. Two different floats are used in the matsuri: the yama and the hoko. The hoko can weigh over ten tons and are up to twenty-five meters tall with their wheels being as tall as a human. My friend and I were searching for the streets where the float constructions were taking place and were able to find it after asking some locals. One of the most impressive things about the construction of the floats? No nails are ever used!













Thank you so much for reading and I hope you all have a wonderful week! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment