Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Kaiseki Ryori: An Entirely Different Eating Experience

During my trip in Kyoto with my teachers, I was able to not only experience eating yudofu, but kaiseki ryori as well! Kaiseki is a traditional Japanese dinner that consists of multiple courses- all of which are artistically arranged to enhance both the appearance and taste. There is a delicate balance between the texture, color, appearance and taste of the food as well as the order that it is served. The dishes are also carefully chosen to compliment the theme, season or food. And did I mention that only the freshest of ingredients are used? That said, kaiseki is not a cheap dinner, but it is well worth it :)




Had to take a picture of the first course :) along with my trusty oolong tea :D

From left to right: Ikura (salmon roe), very thinly sliced cucumber, sashimi, ebi and ika (squid)

Our salad course. I don't eat red meat soo..I'm pretty sure that's steak?

With this dish, we took the cube of butter and melted it on the pan in front of us before cooking the meat in it :) 

Yellow leaf: bunashimeji mushrooms and yuba tofu (I think). Green flower cup: medley of sauteed vegetables with sakura-shaped kamaboko on top. Blue dish: tempura! White and red dish: I can't really remember what it is, so if anyone knows please tell me! :) Green cup: If I remember correctly, it was yudofu, but I'm not sure :(

Soba!! :) 

Chawan-mushi and it was sooo yummy~

Does anyone know the name of the food with the carrot piece on top of it? I can never remember its name 
:[ 

They lit a candle underneath the pot and after the rice cooked for about 20 minutes (or the fire went out), we were able to take off the lid and ta-da! Rice with shiitake mushrooms and carrots. I'm not a rice person, but this was too yummy to not eat the whole thing :) 

Another shot of the next course

Can't have dinner without some good tsukemono ^^


It wasn't my usual tub of ice cream, but the blueberry yogurt, yellow cake and pineapple were so very delicious and a wonderful way to end the meal!

Hopefully this wasn't my first and last time eating kaiseki in Japan! Thank you so much for reading :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment