Saturday, August 23, 2014

Cloudy With A Chance of Light: Arashiyama Lantern Festival

Happy Saturday everyone :)

My friend and I went to Arashiyama last weekend for their lantern festival and, well, I'll let the photos speak :)


I love seeing lanterns, especially at train stations. They just seem to be beckoning visitors and locals alike towards the entrance of Arashiyama. 

The usually calm and blue water had turned into a raging, brown and high current because of the heavy rains that have been hitting Kyoto lately. 

The last time I came here was during spring when the water was clear and the skies blue. That definitely wasn't happening when my friend and I came that day...

We did manage to see Tenryuji, but were unable to go inside because they had closed the entrance off to visitors a little early. 


Staff and volunteers working diligently to load all the lanterns onto the rafts and light them. 


Because of the strong current and incoming storm, they were unable to put the lanterns into the river, but seeing hundreds of lanterns lit up was quite an experience in itself :)


Thank you so much for reading and I hope you all have a wonderful weekend! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment