Thursday, August 6, 2015

Donburi Chaya: First Taste of Uni



I'll admit--I'm not the biggest fan of seafood, but I wasn't going to visit Nijo Market and NOT try some delicious donburi. I read about a small restaurant called Donburi Chaya, located in a small alley within the market. They didn't open until about 7:30 so my friend and I waited patiently outside, looking for potential omiyage from other shops that were already open. Donburi Chaya has a wide variety of donburi for customers to try and I decided on the salmon ikura uni-don, an amazing combination of fresh uni (sea urchin), ikura (fish eggs) and salmon sashimi on a bed of warm rice. I don't eat ikura very often, but I've had it since I was little (thanks, Dad!) and salmon sashimi is probably my favorite type of sashimi, but I have never tried uni before. 

 In a way, it was a smart and a what-were-you-thinking?! decision at the same time. The uni was incredibly delicate, smooth and creamy and I was surprised that it didn't have a fishy taste at all! They definitely didn't skimp on the serving size either because I was impressed with the amount that was given. That was the smart decision. The not-so-smart decision? I'm probably spoiled by the uni in Hokkaido and will forever compare any other ones that I eat to that...But hey, can't beat Hokkaido when it comes to seafood I guess :) The donburi that I ordered was just over 1,800 yen, but definitely worth it! 


Probably one of the best breakfasts I've ever had in Japan.


Thank you so much for reading and I hope you all have a wonderful week! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment