Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Obon Summer: Nadeshiko no Bon Part 1

Happy Tuesday everyone! :)

Summer time in Japan is quite eventful with all of the local bon odori that occur in various neighborhoods, towns, cities, etc. and it's always fun to attend them. The air is filled with the smell of food, music and excitement as people don their summer yukata and gather around the yagura (a wooden scaffold) in a circle to dance. It's a time to remember their ancestors and each region in Japan has a local dance as well as certain music.

I attended this specific bon odori last year, but didn't bring my camera, so I was determined to bring it this year! :) This event is held at the winery in Seishin-Chuo, but they offer complimentary shuttles to and from the place, which made it very convenient! I hope you enjoy the pictures :)

The event staff were very catering to us-- they helped us put on our yukata and also had extra ones for people who didn't have their own :)

We got there a little over an hour before the event started, but it was really nice to see the lanterns hung up ^^

The dark yukata club! I love the colors :)

My other traveling half!! And she's probably one of the nicest people you'll ever meet :D


Had to do a sneaky shot at the hip because they gave me funny looks...but they were all having fun talking story :]

More people began to come and you could hear children laughing all over the place ^^

I love looking at all the different colored yukata that people wear to the bon odori! The designs, patterns and colors never cease to amaze me. 

The festivities began with a performance from a local group and I must say, the little boy in the middle was way too adorable for his own good!


Couldn't resist snapping a photo of the children line-up :) The fact that all of them were wearing yukata made this one a bonus!

Watching the performance on the sidelines...


Thank you so much for reading :) Part two will be up later this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment